Thursday, August 21, 2008

Simple Healthy Yummy

This is a quick meal that I feel I can improvise and experiment with, while keeping the basic goodness.  I'd like to try different beans and veggies.  Perhaps add some spices.  Those who know my cooking style know that this is HUGE that I may divert from an original recipe!!  I also like it hot the first time but enjoy it cold (with some chopped fresh mozzarella) for leftovers.  Hope you enjoy it, too!

Veggie & Couscous Salad
15 min prep time, serves 6

3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 small shallot, chopped
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups low-sodium veggie or chicken broth
1 cup organic whole-wheat couscous (note: not QUITE the whole box!)
3 Tbsp lemon juice

In a 2-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil.  Saute shallot, broccoli and bell pepper over high heat until they're softened, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add beans, raisins, stock and salt.  Cover and bring to a boil.  As soon as it boils, add couscous and stir to mix.  Remove pot from heat and cover tightly for 5 minutes. 

Uncover and fluff the mixture with a fork.  Toss with lemon juice, transfer to a portable container and chill.

No comments: